Saturday, January 16, 2010

Greetings to you, Kappa Pi VCU, on this sassy Saturday! Love, Mary Carter.

Ahoy there, me mateys! My winter break was not the most exciting, but definitely allowed for some much needed R&R. The stress of last semester will be nothing compared to this coming semester, so I've been finding ways to prepare myself artistically, mentally, and physically for the onslaught of work, sleep deprivation, and high academic expectations. I'm sure many of you are dealing with something similar. I went skiing this past week, which may seem totally unrelated to...anything, but coming back with a sore and physically exhausted body was one of the greatest feelings I've experienced in a long time. Exercise! It's incredible how good it makes your body feel to release some toxins, work the muscles, and get the blood pumpin'. Not always for the sake of losing weight, but as a successful stress-buster. Speaking of exercise, has anyone back in Richmond checked out the Cary St. Gym lately? I am beyond ecstatic that it is up and running again, with ten times the bells and whistles that it had before.

Perhaps I should return to a more art-related topic. As some of you may know, I have finally decided (after putzing around plenty this past semester trying to make a decision) to chart my course towards a BA in Scientific & Preparatory Medical Illustration within the Communication Arts department. I am excited....and at the same time, rather nervous. I have more science classes next semester than art classes! This means that unfortunately I will only be in Franklin Terrace on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between 3:30-8:20. I'm used to spending almost every day of my academic life in that building. Though, I find myself highly anticipating the idea of new and challenging classes outside of strictly art courses. I'm hoping to not only feed the other half of my brain, but also find a new form of artistic inspiration through information and biological/chemical design.

I didn't find myself sketching as much as I would have liked to this winter break, but I did finish up a small commission for an elderly couple, and a few colored doodles here and there. I've been a bit lackadaisical when it comes to scanning/uploading them, but to show a small something:

Not particularly interesting, but I've been trying to experiment with different styles. (For instance, no inking/black lineart...just loose coloring). In that sense, I look forward to a new sketchbook. My last sketchbook was a bit repetitive with strict line work, at least in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm sorry this entry couldn't be excellent, I'll have more to discuss/talk about when spring semester swings into gear. I look forward to it, and seeing you all very soon!

-Mary Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment